Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Friday, December 31, 2010

12-31-2010 New Year’s Eve

Used to be this night was filled with promise, excitement, the deep seated idea that I should be doing something absolutely fabulous.  Reality, however, is that it turns out more often than not to be a quiet night at home trying to stay awake to watch the ball fall.  There are several times during the year when I feel the need to reflect.  The night of my birthday is important, reviewing the past year.  The night of the winter solstice to me is the real ‘new year’ when I know that the sun has reached it’s greatest distance.  New Year’s Eve, of course, is another one of those nights, another time for thinking about the year past, for remembering and reflecting.

I could write a litany of what we did this year, a summary of the trips, the travels, the fun times.  I could write about family changes and milestones, another litany, another list.  Instead, as this day comes to a close, I will attempt to think about what moments stand out most as something totally new and surprising, and maybe look back to see just what I learned this year, how I possibly grew a bit.  Who knows, by the time I am done, it may still be just a list of what we did and where we went.  I guess I’ll know more as I attempt to backtrack and see the learning tidbits buried beneath the stories. So for now, as the year comes to a close, I thought I would track down some sunset photos until I get around to actually reflecting.  It’s just a bit easier to do. The surprising thing about that little exercise was that I take a LOT more photos of sunrises than I do of sunsets.  Guess that shows what time of day I like most, I guess.

It was 11 degrees this morning when we woke up, and we waited for it to warm up to a balmy 14 before going outside to haul a couple of loads of wood to the back porch.  We are burning dry juniper this year and I love it.  It smells wonderful, and it burns hot and bright with a brilliant glowing color that feels as good as it looks.  In this area, we don’t have access to much hardwood, except for the laurel over in Medford that runs 200 a cord.  I’ll settle for juniper at 130. 

10 comments:

  1. LaurieDecember 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM

    Have a warm and cozy New Year's Eve, Sue (and Mo). Meeting and hiking with you in 2011 was great!
    I sure enjoy your blog - good writing, interesting ideas, and grat photos. Definitely a part of my blogosphere reading.

    ReplyDelete

  2. LaurieDecember 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM

    Oops, make that 2010! I'm getting ahead of myself again... but maybe we can meet and hike in 2011, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

  3. Sue MaloneDecember 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM

    You bet we will, Laurie! I wouldn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Travels with EmmaDecember 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM

    Thanks for the shout out! Hope your new year is everything you want it to be. :)

    ReplyDelete

  5. RickDecember 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM

    Beautiful sunset photos!
    We are spending a quiet New Year's Eve in our 5'er and I'm looking forward to going to bed soon (it's only 8:30pm) and just reading a good book!!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

  6. ErinJanuary 1, 2011 at 3:43 AM

    May 2011 dawn bright and colorful .... it's still dark here on the East Coast, so I am waiting to see what the day brings as we start the New Year ... health and happiness foremost.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Sam&Donna WeibelJanuary 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM

    Thanks for the mention on your blog, WE too are looking forward to the day Donna can retire and we can do some serious 5th wheeling.Hope to meet up with your someday. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Al BossenceJanuary 1, 2011 at 5:07 AM

    We can't even remember the last time we ever made it to the midnight hour, New Year's or not. Just not the priority anymore like it used to be & we're both happy about that. All the best to you folks for 2011:))

    ReplyDelete

  9. pidgeJanuary 1, 2011 at 6:28 AM

    Hope you have a great New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Luci & LoreeJanuary 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

    I love the way you write!! There is always something to ponder on.

    ReplyDelete


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments