Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Monday, December 13, 2010

12-13-2010 Visiting Bel in Ocala Florida

Something magical happens to me when I am in Ocala.  Even though the population of the city is close to 100K it still feels like a small town.  Often when I come here, the weather is wonderful, an incredible respite from cold and snow.  This time I seem to have hit the coldest possible weather, with predictions for the low 20’s tonight and even colder temperatures possible in the next couple of days, with highs in the 40’s. I am leaving on Wednesday from Tampa, and the temperatures predicted for Thursday are back in the 70’s.  Ah well.  I am not really here for a vacation, I am here for my friend.

In the five days that I have here, I hoped to be some help to my friend who has been dealing with some health issues. So I am here, driving her to the grocery store, taking her to the parade, where she did a great job walking from the side street parking to the main drag in Ocala.  Yesterday I took her for a drive through the gorgeous back roads along 225A, the secret pathway through miles and miles of horse farms with homes almost as big as the incredible stables, with driveway gatehouses that could house a homeless family or two.

But back to that ‘thing’ that happens here in Ocala.  The Ocala parade consisted of almost three hours of floats full of kids involved in every possible activity available, with gymnasts, and dancers, and singers, high school and middle school bands, and so many “miss whatever’s” they needed a dozen cars to carry them all. Ocala calls itself the horse capital of the south, and there was no lack of fabulous horses and horsemanship exhibited in the parade.  Small town stuff at it’s best.

Somehow, here in this town, I find myself slowing to a crawl.  I listen to birds and watch the light play on the leaves.  I watch the skies change from gray to sunny back to gray and sit on the porch watching the rain. Ocala really isn’t a destination, there isn’t much here for a traveler passing through, there is bad traffic down on “200”, there is crime and racism, and grinding poverty amidst huge wealth.  Just a few minutes north of Ocala is Anthony, a bucolic land of open space and huge oak trees where John Travolta and his wife have built their home and life.  John drops into the local Publix now and then and Bel sees him at the meat counter. And everywhere, the trees.  Huge live oaks dripping with moss, and spindly elms so thick you can’t walk, and everything in between.  I love the trees in this part of Florida.

Today a neighbor of Bel’s invited us to a Christmas Chorale at her church on the “other side of town”.   Another neighbor stopped by yesterday with a small new space heater, worried about her in the cold.

I thought maybe while I was here I could write about Silver Springs with all the Christmas lights, or possibly go out to Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest and write about the Technicolor turquoise waters, trying to find adjectives to describe them.  Instead I am lying low, listening to Bel talk about her life, watching the 3 TV stations available, going to church, watching the birds, and playing with the cats.

Comments from the Original Post

8 comments:
  1. RickDecember 13, 2010 at 7:56 AM

    Great blog! You had as much 'feeling and thoughts' in this post today as any I've ever read and all without the usual talk about 'me, me, me'. It was very refreshing to read that.
    Here's hoping your friend Bel is able to get on Medicare before it's too late. From the sounds of it, she is making the very best of her conditions and with a few friends, like you, she will be o.k.
    I'm with you on the no politics or religion in blogs too - lots of that stuff everywhere else and it usually ends up causing hard feelings.
    Have a good trip home.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Luci & LoreeDecember 13, 2010 at 9:23 AM

    Oh, my, that is a wonderful story!! Love the homage to your dear friend and the country. Take Care and God Bless..

    ReplyDelete

  3. Donna McNicolDecember 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM

    What a wonderful, wonderful blog!!! Thank you for opening up and sharing some of the not-so-shiny stuff.

    ReplyDelete

  4. pidgeDecember 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM

    You are doing a great thing for your friend. Hope since she is getting medical attention she will be alright.

    ReplyDelete

  5. PhyllisDecember 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM

    Bel may be in a difficult situation right now, but she is blessed to be surrounded by good neighbors and true friends!
    I ditto with the private stuff stays private part, this is why I don't post often as I live a very private life.

    ReplyDelete

  6. KateDecember 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM

    Sue, Great post, I read it yesterday and you seem to have edited it a bit, so I'm glad I read the whole story.
    Have you ever heard the song "Hello in there"? Written by John Prine, it's a favorite and so pertinent today. Check out the Bette Midler version.
    And tell Bel Merry Christmas and Keep on Truckin' from California
    Warmly
    Kate
    http://cholulared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  7. Al BossenceDecember 18, 2010 at 5:59 AM

    Just noticed your Demember 13th post today. Reading the comments I'm sorry I missed the original post. I always enjoy reading about peoples thoughts & feelings.

    ReplyDelete

  8. UnknownOctober 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

    what is the name of this church?

    ReplyDelete

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments