Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Thursday, March 31, 2022

03-31-2022 Marching Forward

March is a month when everything is changing. Some days feel like winter, and other days are like spring. Sometimes winter and spring can happen on the same day. The remarkable differences between February and March, however, are the flowers. Mid-month primroses are in full bloom, and the daffodils begin to appear and are in full color by the end of the month.

Mo's birthday is the first of the month, and she usually decides on some kind of travel destination to celebrate. We had only returned a few days earlier from our trip to California, so this time a local celebration was her choice. We went to see "Dog", a charming and entertaining movie.

Dinner at the Taprock Grill ended the day perfectly. Even with the rain, the view of the river and the Caveman Bridge was delightful.

The rain made days indoors a priority, with puzzles and quilting filling my time. I tried a new technique called "Quilt as you Go" for the first time and enjoyed making cute little mugrugs. I gave a few to friends and family and kept one for my bedside table, and it was an excellent way to use up fabric scraps in my stash.

I spent a considerable amount of time working on our trip plans for this coming August. We are doing a tour of New York City with Adventure Caravans. Traveling cross-country to New York requires more planning than ever with the complexity of reservation requirements. RV Trip Wizard is an app that I use since "Streets and Trips" is no longer available. I am getting used to it, and the annual cost isn't bad, but remember the old days when we could own software on our computers instead of online??

Prepping for our New York trip with a New York puzzle

While I am fiddling indoors, Mo usually finds something to do in her shop, where a small heater keeps things comfortable. Her big project was cleaning up a beautiful solid oak drop leaf table that she plans to sell. It is another lovely piece of furniture that we couldn't fit into Sunset House.


In addition to flowers, mid-March is when the grass grows in earnest. Mo had to mow the pasture twice, and I cut the small front lawns a couple of times, much earlier than in years past.

Daughter Melody drove south from Eugene to spend a day with me. Even though we talk and text often, it is a treat to see her in person and get a real Melody hug. Plus is gave her an excuse to take a little trip in her new car. We spent girl time at the Red Lily Vineyard on the Applegate Wine Trail.

The wine is superb, and the Tapas Board a real treat. Even with the sun shining, the March breezes kept us indoors. Those March breezes kicked up quite a storm and blew down power lines across our route back home. I later discovered that it was several hours before the road opened, so our choice to take the long way home through Jacksonville and Medford was good.

Mo and I filled up a few days with a Costco run to Medford, doctor visits, and family visits. After two years of Covid restrictions, I finally got my Coconut Shrimp appetizer fix at Red Lobster in Medford. Even with the virus waning, there is still a shortage of wait staff in most restaurants, and more than half of the restaurant was closed to customers.

Week four brought friends and a camping trip to Brookings, which I wrote about in the previous post. We returned from this trip just in time for a planned outing with Daughter Deborah.  It was spring break and she had a week away from work to do something special. 

She wanted to go wine tasting on the Applegate.  Once again we went to Red Lily for excellent wine and the Tapas Board.  ( This is getting to be a habit!).  The day was beautiful, with sunshine and blue skies. It was still not quite warn enough to sit outside but the tasting room is comfortable and lovely. 

Continuing along the wine trail toward Jacksonville, we visited a winery called "Dancin".  The grounds were gorgeous, and by the time we arrived, the tasting area was quite crowded.  We were informed that we could have a table for just 45 minutes before the next reservation arrived.  We didn’t need any longer because the wine didn’t appeal to us.  Possibly our choice to taste the pinot noir was a mistake, and someday we may go back and try their more prestigious whites. 

We continued along Old Stage Road in Central Point toward home as we attempted to find the Hummingbird Estate.  This last minute choice made our day perfect.  We loved the wine, the view was gorgeous overlooking the Rogue Valley, and the daughter of the owner of the vineyard was delightful. 

She told us stories about their purchase of the vineyard, their winemaking, their young vines, their family, and the history of the house, built in 1926.  Deborah loved the idea of supporting such a lovely local vineyard, bought several bottles of wine and joined their wine club! 

We still managed one more camping trip in March.

The Rogue River winds through our valley on its meandering journey from Crater Lake to the Pacific Ocean. We are lucky to have several beautiful county parks within a short distance from home. A neighbor who lives down the street from us often talks about camping at Griffin Park. I checked for sites to no avail and then discovered that with a bit of effort, reservations are canceled, and suddenly, a site was available. We snagged site 3, facing the Rogue River, for 3 lovely days at the end of the month.

With only 16 miles to travel and not much to do in the park's vicinity, we decided to go without the Tracker. I wasn't sure we could fill three entire days without exploring somewhere, but it was a perfect choice. We settled into our site on the first cloudy day, knowing the sun would be out in full by the following day. 

Mo managed to pack enough wood in a tote for three campfires, one for each night, and the little WeberQ BBQ fit in the aisle of the MoHo for the short trip. When we talked about taking the car, my first thought was how we would manage to haul the BBQ and the firewood!

The second day was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day, and in the morning, I went for a nice hike/walk along the river. The park is surrounded by BLM land on three sides. Even though houses are nearby, the BLM land provides a bit of a barrier between civilization and open space.

The river was gorgeous. Mo and I walked the path again the next day, checking out how far upstream we could paddle our kayaks before encountering rapids.

I walked around the park road to photograph the gorgeous shooting stars Dodecatheon pulchellum in full bloom. In all my days of wildflower viewing, I have never seen such a huge patch of these flowers in full bloom. I tromped into the grass for closeups in my open-toed sandals.

I realized that I was treading through short stems of newly sprouting poison oak a few minutes later. I am horribly allergic to the stuff and went immediately into panic mode. I know about TechNu but haven't carried it with me since my days working in the California foothills. I walked quickly back to the MoHo, thinking about how to get the oils off my skin. I thought about all those birds and the oil spills. What do the volunteers use to clean the birds? DAWN! I scrubbed my shoes and skin with Dawn and packed my pants into a plastic bag. Success! I didn't get a single blister on my feet or legs.

We invited our friends Maryruth and Gerald to drive out from Grants Pass to join us for an afternoon of dominoes and a BBQ rib early supper. I came prepared with marshmallows, and Maryruth provided the chocolate for the after-supper treat. I purchased the top brand of marshmallows and was shocked to discover that they are about half the size they used to be. If they sell them by the ounce, what is the purpose of making them so small? They were about halfway between a mini marshmallow and a regular marshmallow. I thought about getting the colossal campfire marshmallows. Still, it was impossible to get them into your mouth the last time I tried that! Such a silly thing, yet it made fitting the mallow on the stick very hard and even harder to get the little bit of chocolate into the tiny mallow!   Such a silly thing.

We decided to take another route back home. I got excited when I realized that our trip would take us past the Rogue Creamery. The main store is located in Central Point, but the dairy is tucked away along Lower River Road, a few miles from Grants Pass. I bought some of the world-famous bleu cheese and enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich made with sharp cheddar, a bit of bleu, and honey on sourdough bread. Yum! What a great way to end the month of March.

16 comments:

  1. as always, you make me remember places and traveling the way we used to do.
    spring is reluctant here but there is a vaguely greenish tinge to the sad grass.
    keep it up, you lucky ladies. it's wonderful how you manage to keep up with friends!
    thanks for the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are also the master of keeping up with friends, even remotely, and I appreciate that so much. My friends who live next to your state headed west for an RV trip a couple of weeks ago. They are on their way back to Vermont, and I don't envy them the return to what Jeanne calles "stick season". Maybe it will be sprouting a bit more by the time they get home. Happy Spring to you!

      Delete
  2. Lots of wine drinking lately.. :) So-so green there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the green in the spring is something I truly love being on the west side of the mountains. But the brown in the summer is much less inviting than the east side mountains. It is always a trade off, don't you think? And no, the wine drinking isn't really LOTS, it is just the most recent thing we are enjoying living so close to a really great AVA.

      Delete
  3. First of all HAPPY HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS MO!!!

    Your month of March sounds very fine. I like your little quilter sayings. If that first one works, I’ll go back to quilting when I come off the road. Let me know.

    David restored and refinished all the old golden oak turn of the century furniture we have in the farmhouse. I’m sure Mo knows she’ll make about $1.50 an hour at best for her efforts if she sells the table. Good thing she just likes to do it.

    Your NY puzzle makes me nearly faint. I can’t imagine doing all those itty bitty pieces. I’m having trouble with a 500 pieces of two beagles. Brown/black/white and that’s it.

    You are so lucky to have such nice places to camp so near you. I don't have anything but Shenandoah National Park nearby. Not that it's anything to snear at. But even there, 3 days is too much work packing and unpacking for me. 2 weeks is my usual minimum. But what a lovely place. If it were that close to me, I might well grab 3 days too. Can you or have you kayaked the river? Those shooting stars are gorgeous. What a treat to see such a huge number of them.

    So glad to hear Dawn did the trick for you with the Poison Oak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave that aerobic one to my most exercise fanatic friend, so I'll ask her! I don't think it is helping me that much except for the up and down between the ironing board and the sewing machine. I'll let you know on the table, we will see what happens, but we can wait until someone shows up who really loves it. It isn't so much the time or money, but the need to reduce some of our "stuff" that is too much for our space. We do love our summer camping opportunities around here, but know that we have to make good use of them before fire season comes, and this year that could be much earlier. We are used to the packing thing and have it down to a science. Once you aren't traveling for long distances and long trips, it gets easier I think. We have not yet kayaked the Rogue. It is a dangerous river. This section looked doable with an easy lauch area so we plan to try it this year.

      Delete
  4. You sure kept busy in March … lots of fun stuff and seeing your daughters in person. All good. We have a couple of short RV trips when we get back and plan to leave the CR-V home. We’ve not done that before, so we’ll see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. The focus of the camping trip changes and seems to be much more relaxing without the desire to go exploring. Walks and relaxing time are the priority and that it nice. Three days is about all I would want to do, however. You are right, it was a fun month. The blog is somewhat of a diary for me as well as my calendar, so I needed to be sure to catch up on the month before I lost it. Travel Safe and enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Busy, busy, busy as always. Glad the Dawn took care of the PO. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it worked too, Mary Ann!! At least I am going to have it available whenever I am in the MoHo since I wash dishes in there. LOL. Not terribly busy really, the month seemed quite pleasant and simple. Maybe it sounds a bit more busy when I write about it all at once.

      Delete
  6. You had a very busy month! So envious of your beautiful yard--everything looks so pristine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call it especially pristine with all those darn false dandelions and some sort of nasty prostrate mat forming weed that is taking over the pasture. They choke out the grass and I have manually tried to get rid of them for 3 years now. It is about half an acre of open grass so that isn't an easy thing to do. This year is the worst ever. Sigh. Might have to give up and spray something but I hate to kill the clover. Anyway...pristine is something that only shows up in long distance photos. After a fresh mowing. LOL

      Delete
  7. I am missing Spring flowers, these look extra nice next to that chunk of rose quartz. And all that lush green makes me want to bury my bare toes in the lush grass. Even if it won't last. Nice to have so many options around where you live, wine, camping, wine, river... Sure glad the Dawn worked. Cheese and honey melt on sourdough sounds good. I will have to give that try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn was just a quick mental hit, and I have heard that others have used it successfully as well. Yes, I do love that lush grass. Our patches are small, the ones that I actually managed, since it isn't "cool" to have lawns. But I love it. The pasture is mostly natural, with lots of clover and weeds and annual grasses that die out in the fall. As I am sure you might remember from photos of the place in the fall. By the time you get here midsummer there will be the little patches of green for your toes, but the pasture will be dry and brown.

      Delete
  8. A successful March (no poison oak) and now we're into April. Both months are so pretty with wildflowers and blooming trees. I love this time of year and I'm glad we're home to see it -- last year we were gone and missed every single blossom! Hope the NYC planning is going smoothly. We're going on a 14-day NY-Reykjavic cruise in July/August ... can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is my favorite time of year too, Nickie. In the fall I told Mo that maybe fall was my favorite, more than spring. But Nope! Spring it is. It is so uplifting after the dreary, damp, foggy winter. We are glad to be close to home if not home every day. We don't miss the wonder of it all. In fact, here we are this morning with snow on the ground and actuallys sticking!

      Delete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments