Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Taking a Break and Escalating Readership Isn’t Always a Good Thing

Current Location: Farmington, NM Wally-docking  Predicted low of 15F didn’t materialize and it is now 32F

Albuquerque_004The last few days have been spectacular, with several stories waiting in the wings to be published.  We visited with a very long time friend now living in Albuquerque, traveled the Jemez Mountain Scenic Byway, visited Jemez Springs, the Valles Caldera, and managed to slip into Bandelier National Monument for some magical hikes. 

Albuquerque_013On our way north and west, we took the time to ramble down the dirt road to Chaco Canyon, called officially Chaco Culture National Historic Park, and treasured some walkabouts on that sacred land. I am writing as I explore, but won’t be posting for a bit.  I need a break.

Albuquerque_001_01I am not going to use the “T” word here, or name the famous “route” post that triggered all the controversy. When I wrote my personal impressions about the place and our visit, it was just that, personal, as all my blog posts are.  I have said repeatedly that I never claim to be any kind of professional travel blogger. My blog isn’t a travel blog, it is a personal journal that I share. I don’t have ads so I don’t need readership to help support my lifestyle, so there is really no need to promote myself in any way.Albuquerque_048

I do put up the blog posts on Facebook so friends who don’t have Google can find them, and on Google because there are other folks who find the blog in that way.  What I didn’t think about, however, is that many people have key words and phrases programmed into Google that will alert them whenever those words or phrases show up anywhere.  Sobering.  I know whatever I write publicly is public, and I still stand by what I wrote. It was my impression, and my personal feelings.  I am entitled to them.Albuquerque_063

What I didn’t know was that the “T” word and the “famous numbered route” word has hundreds of thousands of devoted and passionate fans around the world.  I completely understand the desire of the owner of the historic restored motel in that town to “set the record straight”.  He did so quite eloquently, but the slams I received from so many people certainly didn’t make me want to jump in and become part of that world wide community.  I honor their passion.  If you are interested in this entire thing, much of it is on the previous post, and another very huge part of it is on Facebook.Chaco Canyon_001

I decided that I will just let the whole thing “die a natural death”, advice from a good friend.  My readership escalated from friends, family, and a few fellow RV bloggers to literally thousands of hits in a day and that isn’t something I want or desire.  Just managing and reading the comments was overwhelming.  I don’t know how people like RV Sue, Nina, Rick, and Al manage to do it.  And no, I am NOT linking to one single thing in this post.

We are fine, we are continuing our route home toward Oregon, traveling through Page Arizona, hiking Antelope Canyon, and then points west and then north on an as yet undecided route.  It will be good to get home.  Friends who are up close will hear from me, but I probably won’t be posting to the blog for a bit of time till things settle down and all those passionate folks find me completely boring.

Chaco Canyon_039

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments