Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine
Winter Sunshine in the Desert

Friday, February 1, 2013

Ships Passing in the Night…errr….Evening

walks_002DSC_0002If some of these photos look a bit familiar to you, it might be because Mo and I decided to end our Desert Hot Springs trip with a visit to the Palm Springs Thursday Night Street Fair.  Today while catching up on blogs as we drove north on I-5, I saw Rick’s post about attending the same street fair.  In fact, he even took a photo of the restaurant where we were having dinner!  Unlike Rick, I was too overwhelmed with the crowds and the shops and the booths and the smells to remember to take many photos. I can’t believe we didn’t run into each other there, but then again, there were a LOT of people, and lots of doggies as well.

walks_022DSC_0022Our trip was a whirlwind, spent mostly driving back desert roads, and we didn’t decide until yesterday that it might be a good idea to eat Mexican one more time before packing up the rig for our early morning departure today.  I also wanted to see the Marilyn Monroe statue that has been highlighted on more than a few blogs lately.  We parked and walked and finally found it, right downtown in the very middle of the street fair.

In the past, we have had great meals at two Mexican Restaurants on this main drag, so decided to try Macarena’s for something new. Even though we were told it would be a half hour wait, within minutes my phone rang and our outside table was ready.  It was great having good food, a happy hour marguerita, and a good people watching spot in the middle of all the action.

walks_024DSC_0024In addition to all our desert drives, we managed a bit of relaxation while in the desert, and I swam and soaked in the pools every single day but one.  Love those pools.  We also walked the park, walked the surrounding desert a bit, and drove to La Quinta so that I could spend some time in a great quilt store, Monica’s Quilt.  Of course, I came out with a bag of gorgeous fabric and some new patterns.  I also got directions to the Quilter’s Faire in Palm Desert, hidden in an industrial area behind Wal-Mart and came away with another bag of fabric and a couple of good looking patterns.  Ah, Stash!  gotta love it.

Thursday_sun (9)[11]We decided to just make a beeline for home with only a one night stay in Lodi at the Flag City RV Resort.  This meant leaving this morning at 6:30 so that we could travel the lovely sunrise route north on Highway 247 to Barstow before turning east to cross the Tehachapis on Highway 58 to Bakersfield.

I was a bit bummed about not having time to stay one more night at the Orange Grove RV Park because I finished the last of my tree ripened oranges a few days ago.  I decided to take a chance and call the park, and sure enough the owners were friendly and wonderful and said, “Sure, just come on in and get a picker and pick yourself a bag.  No Charge”.  How is that for good advertising!  We pulled into the park and spent just half an hour picking another big bag of the incredibly sweet juicy oranges to take home with us.  Ahhhh.

Capture trip homeDriving into Bakersfield was dramatic as usual.  Looking down on the smog line from the elevation of the pass was intense, and once down in the valley the smog didn’t let up, ever.  We drove a good 250 miles through dingy smoggy air, all the way from Bakersfield to Lodi.  I had to go digging for eye drops.  I drove the first half of the trip through gorgeous, empty, clear desert, and Mo got the second half up the Five.  I think I got the better end of that deal!  We covered 496 miles today and settled into our spot here in Lodi just after five pm, in plenty of time to warm up the leftovers from last night’s great dinner at Macarena’s.

Tomorrow just under 400 miles and we will spend the night back in the Grants Pass Cottage.  Both of us are excited to see the new roof that was completed while we were gone, but neither of us is particularly excited about returning to cold weather.  It has been a great reprieve, and a wonderful two weeks of mostly warmth and sunshine.  Lucky Us!

 

11 comments:

  1. safe travels to you as you continue the journey towards home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy...fresh oranges again...Donna won't be able to resist ordering some more now. They do ship from the store there...and they are soooooo good! After the oranges are all gone the box still looks very colorful and inviting! They put pictures of oranges on the box...how's that for good advertising! Makes you constantly think about how good those oranges are! We need more sunshine...hope you left some down there! Have a good trip home. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos you took on your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry we missed seeing you at the Mexican restaurant on Thursday night. I'll have to have another look at the photo I took and see if I can spot you guys!

    Safe travels on your way back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great trip. Thank You!

    did you ever post pictures of the cottage? I would love to see it. You made you home so cozy would love to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should add and Mo's handy work too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you got a chance to thaw out. Hopefully, there's not as much snow as in your Christmas header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After living in Oregon for more than 30 years, I know how important it is to find sunshine in the middle of winter. Nice to hear about your nice trip.

    travelbug-susan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACK-I've gotta get outta this place, if it's the last thing I ever do... Gee I think that could be a song. All that talk about sunshine and swimming pools and fresh ORANGES is almost more than I can take. So glad you and Mo had a great time and hope you are home by now (despite the tire troubles). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, no ... lucky us that you took us along with you to some warm places. It's cold here. Oh well ... it won't be long before I'll be complaining about how hot it is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed some sunshine and warmth. It's cold here, and I'm yearning for a trip to the tropics right about now.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments