Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine
Winter Sunshine in the Desert

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Why we do it

This:28 Dec Traveling South

Is why we do

This:  28 Dec Traveling South1

Oregon is beautiful, even in winter, but sometimes the desert calls and we just have to make the journey south to find that unknown “something” that is tucked away in desert landscapes. The trouble with this plan is that the deserts that are warm enough for winter camping require the long journey south through California.

I have stories to write, thoughts to put down, but tonight I am worn and the writing will come later.  In the mean time, I am listening to the desert silence east of Lancaster where we are the only campers in a park containing 44 spaces. I need to go outside in the deep darkness and check the night skies, I need to listen for coyotes.  Several hundred miles behind us now and we are slowing down, stopping to breathe and listen and be still.  The desert does that.

14 comments:

  1. peace be with you...

    see a shooting star for me tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you all the way in your desert thoughts.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your thoughts on the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go enjoy the peace and quiet .... the words will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunshine, that's one of the best things you find in the desert! Peace and quiet are also right there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent way to explain it! Love how you did your pictures. I'm going to have to learn more about blogger apparently so I can try that out!

    Not sure there's anything better than being the only camper with starry skies and silence. Lucky you!

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just don't understand why you don't want to find a place with the hum of mosquitoes on the evening breeze! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The winter desert is all beauty.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are very near to where we're at. Hope our weather stays nice and hot with lots of blue skies for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy the desert. Glad you are through with all that traffic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, I understand completely. And those desert shots say it ALL!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your explanation in pictures! Enjoy some of that desert landscape for us. Hope you hear a coyote!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments