Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine
Winter Sunshine in the Desert

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Cats and people thoughts


There are some things that I have been thinking about that just never seem to end up in the story of our trip. Cats and helpful people. Traveling for a month in a very small motor home with a dog and two cats might sound like a recipe for some kind of disaster, or at least a tense moment or two. Instead it has been simple and fun. The cats both have taken to the routine as if they were born to it. I have their small cat cages with me, and whenever it is time to hook up, or if we are gassing up or doing anything that requires open doors I pop them in the cages. They seem to like it actually, and during the day if the cages are open as we are driving they go in them to sleep and feel comfortable in a safe space.

During the days on the road, they are free to roam around the motor home and Jeremy will come and sit in my lap or perch on the dashboard to watch the passing scenery. Teddy usually hangs out in his cage or in the dog bed for the daytime and then happily jumps on the bed for nights. He loves to be by the open window and smell the outdoors and watch whatever magical things are running around in the moonlight. I also brought their bigger crate that I can set up outside on a picnic table when we are doing something outside and they love to sit in there and watch all the birds and whatever else is going on. Funny thing is that they also love to jump back into the safe motor home whenever they have been outside a bit. Every once in awhile, Jeremy especially will keep checking the doors to see if he can make an escape, but is easily discouraged if I speak strongly to him.

The cat box of course is the other thing that seems as though it could be a real pain, but I bought a special one that is deep and has a lid with a circular hole in the top. Someone uses it and I clean it, so things are always clean and nice, and the design of the box keeps litter from scattering as well. Cat people will understand this one for sure. I can’t believe just how easy it has been to travel with them. The other part that has been fun is that I have had more time to spend with them than I do when I am home working and I think that may be what they like about the whole thing as well.

People. I have experienced some really interesting people on this trip, especially in the south. Everyone seems really kind and really talkative. If I ask directions or for some kind of information, every one is willing to help, usually with long and complicated and very explicit directions, and then with some more conversation until I wonder if I will manage to get on my way. At the Laundromat where I walked in to read my maps, I was approached by an old guy in beat up clothes and a friendly smile who said, “Can I help? I used to be a cab driver around here” He then proceeded to give me careful directions as to how to get back to my campground without missing a step. He shook my had and patted my shoulder and it didn’t feel the least bit threatening. Today in San Antonio, several people offered helpful directions, and the one thing that is constant, is the length of time everyone is willing to take to explain and converse and talk at length after the simple directions are given. Friendly people are what I will remember of this trip I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments