Fall Sunset from the Deck

Fall Sunset from the Deck
Fall Sunset from the Deck

Wednesday, July 8, 2026

07-08-2026 Newfoundland From the Ship


We sailed all night on gentle seas, with just enough motion to lull us to sleep.


We opened our curtains this morning to a view of the wild coast of Newfoundland

The night had gone much better. I had requested a foam pad for my side of the mattress along with an extra comforter. The stewards had a difficult time understanding that I really wanted two separate comforters rather than two inside one duvet. I like one for sleeping, another for afternoon naps, and sometimes both during the night if I get chilly. Prima donna? Maybe a little. Whatever the reason, I slept wonderfully.

The skies were still hazy with smoke drifting eastward from the Canadian wildfires. Beneath them, Newfoundland's dark, rocky coastline felt rugged, remote, and almost forbidding. Watching that dramatic shoreline slip past our veranda, I felt surprisingly at peace with the decision we had made the day before.


The skies were still murky from the smoke coming from the Canadian fires

The previous afternoon I had stopped at the Excursion Desk to ask whether I could take my walker ashore to visit L'Anse aux Meadows, one of the most important archaeological sites in North America. This UNESCO World Heritage Site preserves the remains of the first known Norse settlement in the Americas, founded by Leif Eriksson and his companions nearly five centuries before Columbus. 

Melody was especially excited that I might have the chance to stand where those early Vikings once lived. But after showing us photographs and videos of the site, the excursion staff explained that the rough trails, uneven stone steps, and slippery grass would make it unsafe with my walker. They were far more concerned about my safety than I had been.

In the end, I let it go. There comes a point when experience begins to outweigh ambition. Mo and I have explored remarkable ancient places over the years, from Malta and Turkey to Thailand and beyond. I realized I didn't need to struggle over difficult terrain simply to say I'd been there. This trip was about experiencing what I could, not mourning what I couldn't.


Although far away and a bit fuzzy, we were delighted to see our first iceberg

Far off in the distance we caught our first glimpse of an iceberg. It was tiny against the vast North Atlantic, but exciting just the same. With that, any lingering disappointment quietly disappeared.


we meandered up to the World Cafe for a delicious breakfast

Instead of boarding a tender, we headed upstairs for breakfast and planned a leisurely day aboard Viking Neptune.

By 1030  AM the first tenders were returning to the ship

The Explorer's Lounge was almost empty while most passengers were ashore. We carried our dominoes and a deck of cards forward and settled into one of our favorite places on the ship.

We wandered through the Explorer's Library, admired the Scandinavian design, and photographed details that we had been too busy to notice earlier in the voyage. It was one of those rare mornings when the ship itself became the destination.

We decided to spend our day relaxing in the Explorer Lounge

The stairs leading to Sports Deck 9 looked inviting, but I knew better than to spend precious strength climbing them. Years ago I would have raced to the highest deck on the ship just to feel the wind and watch the sea stretch to the horizon. This time I made a different choice. One of the quiet lessons IBM keeps teaching me is that there is wisdom in saving my energy for the experiences that matter most.

We never found an elevator to the 9th and top deck


We spent some time in the Explorer's library

With the Explorer's Lounge very nearly empty, we had time to wander about and take photos of some of the details that gave it it's particular character.

The fireplace was an illusion but still felt nice on a chilly day


Another understated Scandinavian place for relaxation and conversation

One observation people often ask me about is how Viking compares with Oceania. The public spaces aboard Neptune were beautifully designed and wonderfully inviting, but they encouraged conversation and activity more than quiet solitude. We found ourselves missing some of the secluded little corners aboard Insignia where it was easy to disappear with a book for an hour or two. Both ships are wonderful, they simply have different personalities.

Room service lunch.  Do I look happy??

We decided to have lunch in our stateroom. Viking truly excelled here. Lunch was available twenty-four hours a day and almost always arrived within fifteen minutes. I ordered this same combination more than once. The lettuce was unbelievably fresh, the chicken consommé with vegetables quickly became one of my favorite comfort meals, and there was something wonderfully indulgent about eating lunch while watching the sea roll past our veranda.

The seas got rougher as we sailed beyond Newfoundland into the Labrador Sea

As we sailed beyond Newfoundland and entered the Labrador Sea, the water became noticeably rougher.That afternoon I left Mo relaxing in our cabin while I went downstairs for a scheduled ninety-minute massage. It was heavenly.

My therapist was both exceptionally skilled and genuinely kind. After weeks of preparing for the trip and several busy days of touring, it felt like giving my tired body permission to simply rest. Oddly enough, I never took a single photograph of the spa, even though I visited it more than once. Perhaps that is because I wasn't thinking about documenting it. I was simply enjoying it.

The Viking Spa is a beautiful Scandinavian retreat. It includes a warm relaxation pool beside an exceptionally hot whirlpool, heated stone loungers perfect for resting between treatments, a large sauna, a steam room, and the traditional Nordic bucket shower that dumps an entire bucket of ice water over your head. I tried that exactly once! The snow grotto was another experience I admired more than I participated in. Opening the door was enough for me. I had absolutely no desire to roll around in the snow. Later I also discovered the private women's sauna, another peaceful corner that quickly became a favorite.

It was time to enjoy a lovely dinner in The Restaurant

That evening we enjoyed another wonderful dinner in The Restaurant. We never purchased Viking's Silver Spirits beverage package because it simply wasn't necessary for us. Wine was included with both lunch and dinner, our glasses were always kept full, and no one minded if we carried them with us to another lounge afterward. Judging from the photographs, I was thoroughly enjoying both dinner...and the wine.

Can you tell I was thrilled with our meal?



The day ended exactly as it should have. Barefoot on our veranda. Watching the sun slowly settle over the Labrador Sea. Raising one last quiet toast to another unforgettable day.




A toast to our evening




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments