Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Wandering

old house near the harris bridgeMy soul is filled up with green. We have been traveling through long narrow valleys filled with luscious spring greens, reminiscent of the hills of the Carolinas where my family heritage resides.  Never lived there, but I remember feeling at home and completely familiar when we drove through the little town of Cherokee in North Carolina, among the hardwoods and rhododendrons.  These hidden Oregon valleys are much like that.  I can imagine how wonderful it felt to the pioneers crossing the Oregon Trail when they at last reach the verdant, green paradise called Oregon. Familiar, welcoming and nurturing after all those miles crossing prairies and deserts, day after day of brown and tan and gray.

The MoHlo crossing the Earnest BridgeOregon is many things, but right now, west of the Cascades, it is green, thick, lush, vibrant, neon, chartreuse, every possible shade of green you could imagine and more. The green somehow fills me up, makes my insides vibrate and tingle, makes something inside me expand. Mo and I have spent the last few days wandering slowly through a part of Oregon that we usually pass by at 65 miles per hour on the interstate.

Irish Bend Bridge on the campus at Oregon State UniversityThe Willamette Valley is large, and extends from Eugene to Portland, bisected very nearly through the middle by Interstate 5.  I can’t count the times I have driven this road, usually to get from one end of Oregon to the other, as quickly as possible.

the size of these beams is impressive Deadwood Bridge I was often heading south from Northern Idaho, where I lived for more than 30 years, traveling for the holidays to the youngest daughter in Medford, then later in Corvallis.  Then later again traveling north when that same daughter lived in Albany and I was in Klamath Falls, and north again to spend time with the oldest daughter settled in Portland.  Always moving as quickly as possible, noticing the green and the blue skies in the spring and the brown and smoky skies of fall, but never really seeing it.  Not like I have seen it this week.

Searching for covered bridges is more about the back road journeys than it is about the bridges, although after seeing so many, I find myself feeling great affection for them.  At first we thought they all looked pretty much the same, but in actuality there are subtle nuances and each bridge has it’s own personality, its own character. Some are tucked away in little unknown canyons crossing small streams, others on big rivers like the Suislaw in a valley we never knew about before this trip.

There will be more to write about the journey, the places we found, the roads we traveled, the individual bridges, but that will come later, this is just as Erin says, “a teaser”.  At the moment, I am still just soaking up the green.  Enjoying the rain and the brilliant sunshine between the rains, the wild clouds moving across the skies, and green, always green, everywhere green. 

14 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the desert that you feel about the green. But I love to visit the green and revel in its lushness. But the desert always draws me back. Oregon in the spring was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't spring grand with its over-the-top colors? Being able to travel in our moho's and experience the best our country has to offer at each season is such a gift!

    Thanx for sharing your... wandering... adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get brain dead when i go to the valley, there is SO much to see, the green bombards you!!! Come back with barely a picture taken.
    We are barely on the very tinges of getting any green, trees are just starting to flower, the daffys are done and tulips are starting, still brown but can see little bits of green here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, the green of spring -- lush, colorful, ever changing hues -- it's a great time of rebirth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I like your "Teaser."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if you like the color green, you'd love me! How many times I've wished that I had been born in Oregon. I love it from the ocean to the valleys to the bridges and waterfalls to the Columbia River Gorge. I hope I have a chance to experience it as you are doing just once more. Maybe, just maybe. It's the hope that keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done the covered bridge tour a few times... never get tired of the countryside and slower way of living...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew that OR has covered bridges. Knew them only to be part of the New England States. Sure beautiful that part of OR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, if you care to see the rest of the bridge photos, go to my picasa link at this address:

      https://picasaweb.google.com/113310514327962782301/20120429MoreCoveredBridges

      Delete
  9. I, too, love the green. As Erin said, it's a great time of rebirth. Having spent the last couple of weeks in the parched desert of TX and NM, I loved seeing your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Covered bridges just another reason to visit Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures. Beautiful green. I'm from Virginia and love to visit the deserts but have to have the seasons and the green. And I just love covered bridges. They are each so different and so interesting. We have a lot in common it seems. GREAT post!!

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. great teaser so far!..we visited one covered bridge in Lincoln city in 2010..sounds like a lovely idea for a road trip, visiting as many as you can find!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. simple beauty...

    I love the red one! and of course we all await...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments